A brief statement of purpose

There are already about a billion food blogs, so what might be a justification of yet another one, and who am I to do it?

What I aim to do in this blog is more than simply provide recipes. While recipes of my own will, in fact, be posted, some of the blog will consist of a variety of comments about restaurants and their practices, food preparation tips, personal annoyances (such as loud restaurants and the epidemic of misspellings on menus), and whatever else pops into my head relating to what we put in our mouths (and swallow, I hasten to add). The whole thing is meant to be somewhat provocative. I hope, if nothing else, it won't be boring. I, of course, solicit reader participation.

As for who I am and why I think I might have something to contribute to public discussions on this essential and pleasurable activity - eating - you'll have to click here.



Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Pasta with brie and mushrooms

I had some left-over brie and I felt like pasta - felt like eating pasta; I myself didn’t feel “like” pasta. I then remembered a recipe from Cooking Light a couple of years ago, which involved brie and pasta, so I pulled out that issue. This isn’t the same recipe, as I’ve made some significant alterations, but credit where credit is due: I got the idea from that Cooking Light recipe. This is very creamy-tasting in spite of the use of skim milk instead of cream. It’s also, as can be seen, very, very easy. Fresh mushrooms can, of course, be substituted for the shiitakes. 
Tubular pasta (so the sauce can get inside), 8 oz
Skim milk, 2 cups
Flour, 3 Tbs
Salt, 1 tsp
White pepper, several grinds
Ripe brie, 6 oz, cut into small pieces
Asiago, 1/2 c, grated
Olive oil, 1 Tbs
Butter, 1 Tbs
Dried shiitakes, several. sliced
Scallions, 5 or 6, sliced
Truffle oil
Cook the pasta according to package instructions.
While this is occurring, place 1/2 cup of the milk in a saucepan with the flour and heat over medium heat, stirring, until it’s thoroughly mixed. Now gradually add the rest of the milk, stirring, until it thickens. Add the salt and pepper. 
Add the cheeses to the sauce and melt.
Heat the olive oil and butter in a pan and saute the mushrooms.
Drain the pasta and return to the pot, adding the sauce, and mix. Distribute to serving plates and put the mushrooms on top. Drizzle some truffle oil on top of the whole thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment