A brief statement of purpose

There are already about a billion food blogs, so what might be a justification of yet another one, and who am I to do it?

What I aim to do in this blog is more than simply provide recipes. While recipes of my own will, in fact, be posted, some of the blog will consist of a variety of comments about restaurants and their practices, food preparation tips, personal annoyances (such as loud restaurants and the epidemic of misspellings on menus), and whatever else pops into my head relating to what we put in our mouths (and swallow, I hasten to add). The whole thing is meant to be somewhat provocative. I hope, if nothing else, it won't be boring. I, of course, solicit reader participation.

As for who I am and why I think I might have something to contribute to public discussions on this essential and pleasurable activity - eating - you'll have to click here.



Monday, November 22, 2010

Salmon with cabbage and apple cider

This seems rather autumn-like due the combination of cabbage, apples, and apple cider, and, sure enough, I write this in late November, which looks more like winter here in the Twin Cities area. It probably looks different in, say, Houston. Less white. I’m guessing this preparation would taste exactly the same in July, though. It’s easy and tasty.  
Salmon filet, 12-14 oz, skin removed
Green cabbage, 2 quarters of a small to medium head
Bacon, prosciutto, or pancetta, 3-4 oz.
Apple cider (not apple juice), 1 cup
Onions or shallots, 1/2 cup, minced
Butter
Apple, 1/2, sliced
Salt and pepper
Steam the cabbage. This is a far superior method to boiling it, which fills its layers with water which isn’t easy to drain, and causes the cabbage to lose its corporeal integrity; i.e., fall apart. Microwaving is also better than boiling. Hell, anything is better than boiling cabbage. I’ve used ordinary green cabbage, but Savoy cabbage is a good alternative. 
Chop your choice of cured pig variety and sautè it. If you select prosciutto, you may need to add some butter since it typically has little fat. When it’s browned, remove to another container, while keeping a tablespoon of fat in the pan.
Salt and pepper the salmon fillet(s) and sautè them in the same pan over medium-high heat, adding a bit of butter. Toss in the minced shallot or onion. This shouldn’t take longer than two or three minutes a side. Do not overcook, particularly since they’ll be covered and will rest briefly before serving. When they’re done, remove and cover with foil.
Now, in the same pan still, carefully pour in the apple cider. I’ll repeat my request that you not use the largely tasteless apple juice. There’s a big difference. Place the apple slices in the pan and turn up the heat to reduce the cider just a bit. Salt and pepper if you like, but be careful because the pig product is already salty.

No comments:

Post a Comment